- Supplemental Questions
- General Policy:
1.Academic work completed by a student in a country other than their country of origin and that can be applied toward a Texas State degree, is considered education abroad. Academic work completed by an international student at Texas State or at another school in the United States is not considered as education abroad.
2. An education abroad program is defined as any academic program that awards university credit upon successful completion where more than one-half of the instruction occurs outside the United States (See AA/PPS 02.01.20 –formerly 2.03-). These programs are administered through Texas State Education Abroad.
3. Students need to check with Texas State University Education Abroad to determine if the program/course qualifies for the IEFS. The IEFS may not be used for programs or courses whose “international component” is considered a field trip and/or comprises less than 50% of the course.
4. Each scholarship recipient is required to participate in the program designated in the recipient’s application paperwork
5. Any substantive change in the student’s education abroad program will require written notification to the chairperson of the International Education Fee Scholarship Committee.
6. Students who do not engage in or complete their education abroad program according to their proposal are not entitled to their award even if already allocated by the IEFS Committee and must repay any award already given.
7. The IEFS Committee may revoke an award if any of the information provided by the applicant is found not to be truthful.
8. Intentionally falsified information will lead to disqualification from consideration for the scholarship and repayment of any scholarship money awarded.
9. Students will return or repay scholarship funds after withdrawing from the education abroad program or should the education abroad program be cancelled. If participation in the program is terminated, students will remain responsible for all program fees and for the repayment of the IEFS award.
I. Students must complete online IEFS application through BOSS TXST Scholarships system. The IEFS Committee has the right to request additional information.
II. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. Any missing document or missing/incorrect information constitutes an incomplete application. Students must ensure that their applications are complete. The International Education Fee Scholarship Committee will review and consider all applications after the posted deadline. Awards will be notified via BOSS.
III. All students must verify the status of their IEFS application.
IV. All students awarded a scholarship must be fully enrolled in their education abroad program. Recipients must respect all the deadlines, or their scholarship may be canceled. All students must have a completed application and be officially enrolled in their respective education abroad program by the last day of the acceptance period. If enrollment is not verified, such funds will be distributed to alternate applicants. The Texas State Education Abroad Office is not responsible for contacting applicants to remind them or inform them about the procedures or results.
V. Due to privacy rights, information about the scholarships awarded will not be provided over the phone.
VI. IEFS recipients agree to support Texas State in its mission to internationalize our campus by participating in follow-up projects coordinated by Education Abroad such as presentations, blogs, recruiting events, photo albums, etc.
VII. Award Criteria is calculated as follows (the value multiplied by the points).Texas State GPA multiplied by10, on the financial need (40 points - high, 35 points - medium, 30 points - low), program length (10 points -12weeks or more abroad, 5 points - less than 12 weeks) and prior recipient (10 points - first time recipient, 0 points – prior recipient).
VIII. Scholarships will typically range from a minimum of $750 and not exceed $3,500.
IX. Late applications will not be accepted.
X. IEFS awards cannot be deferred. They are treated as declined. Students must reapply for the next award period.
XI. No applicant may be considered as a substitute for another applicant’s scholarship award.
XII. The IEFS Committee will evaluate all the applications based on the Texas State University criteria for awarding the IEFS rather than on individual circumstances.
XIII. Financial need is determined according to the records of the Texas State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. If a student has not submitted a FAFSA for the current academic year and his/her financial need cannot be determined, the student is ranked as having a "low" need.
XIV. Alternate students may be considered if unaccepted scholarship funds are available. Alternate recipients will be notified during the award notification period and will be informed of the required procedures.
XV. Each recipient is required to participate in the program described in the application during the dates indicated. If an applicant decides to participate in a different education abroad program after the scholarship has been awarded, the applicant will be required to submit written notification to the Education Abroad Office that indicates a change has been made in the student's program. The scholarship will be re-evaluated using the information of the new education abroad program. Based on the new information, the scholarship award may be reduced by the IEFS Committee to comply with the award criteria. However, if with the new education abroad program information the student qualifies for more scholarship funds, the IEFS Committee cannot guarantee the availability of the additional funds, and the student may only be eligible for the initial amount
XVI. If a student is found not to have attended or completed an education abroad program for which a scholarship was awarded, a hold will be placed by Education Abroad on that student’s records until the funds are returned to Texas State.
XVII. If a student does not engage in or complete the education abroad program according to the submitted application, she/he is not entitled to the award even if already allocated by the IEFS Committee and must repay any award given. In case of non-compliance with the rules and operating procedures, a hold will be placed on the student's records by Education Abroad, and the student will not be allowed to register for the next semester. In addition, this may result in the withholding of grades, transcripts, or degree until the funds are returned.
XVIII. Course or program completion will be verified by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at the end of each semester through the academic records on file at Texas State. Questions or concerns will be corroborated in collaboration with Education Abroad. If a student, as the result a catastrophic occurrence or some event beyond the student’s control, is unable to complete a program for which funding was received, a hold will be placed on the student’s records and remain until the International Education Fee Scholarship Committee has reviewed the circumstances and rendered a determination of the legitimacy of the incomplete and whether the return of the funds is necessary.
XIX. Graduate/undergraduate independent Texas State study, research, or internship credit: Students must include with application appropriate documents, including a brief description of proposed study with faculty endorsement and signature, as well as number of credits assigned. The independent study must be under the supervision of a Texas State faculty member and more than 50% of the course work must be completed out-of-country. All independent study programs are subject to the review and approval from Texas State Education Abroad.
XX. Students who apply to an education abroad program in a location for which the U.S. Department of State has issued a travel advisory level 3 or 4 are not eligible for the IEFS.
XXI. The IEFS Committee reserves the right to suspend awards to students who have selected programs that are deemed to follow insufficient academic quality and/or health and safety. Students are advised to contact Texas State Education Abroad for an updated list of programs under this status.
XXII. The IEFS Committee strongly recommends students to keep a copy of the IEFS policies for future reference, purchase trip cancellation/delay/interruption insurance in case of unforeseen circumstances and attend any of the general information sessions offered by the Texas State Education Abroad Office.
- This agreement is only applicable if the travel advisory is a Level 3 prior to or during travel. Travel to a country or area with a Level 3 advisory is considered voluntary travel. If an advisory is Level 1 or 2, this agreement does not apply, but travelers must ensure their travel details are registered with International SOS at least 5 days prior to departure.
This is a Release of Liability, Indemnification, and Assumption of Risk agreement. Read it carefully and sign below. Completion of this form is required before you participate in the Activity. This document cannot be altered or modified by any verbal or written statements.
Releasees: “Releasees” in this agreement are: The Texas State University System, Texas State University, and all regents, directors, employees, agents, officers, and volunteers of such entities.
Assumption of Risks: I request and voluntarily choose to participate in the Texas State University (University) travel to the destination listed above. I am aware of the risks, perils and hazards connected with the Activity. I acknowledge the loss of property, personal or bodily injury, or death might result from the Activity and/or the acts of others. I elect to participate voluntarily and engage in the Activity knowing that the Activity may be hazardous to my property and me. I voluntarily and expressly agree and promise that I assume full responsibility for property loss or damage, and for personal injury, including death, that I may sustain as a result of being engaged in the Activity, whether based in the negligence or other wrongful conduct of the Releasees or not.
INDEMNIFICATION: I AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, PROTECT, DEFEND (ON DEMAND), AND HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASEES FROM ANY AND ALL LOSS, LIABILITY, DAMAGE, OR COSTS OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, WHETHER NOW EXISTING OR HEREAFTER ARISING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, COURT COSTS AND ATTORNEY’S FEES, THAT THE RELEASEES MAY INCUR DUE TO MY PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY AS SUCH ACTIVITY IS DESCRIBED HEREIN, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE. FOR EXAMPLE, I SPECIFICALLY AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, PROTECT, DEFEND (ON DEMAND), AND HOLD HARMLESS THE RELEASESS FROM ANY LOSSES THE RELEASEES MAY INCUR AS A RESULT OF MY LOSS OF PROPERTY, MY PERSONAL OR BODILY INJURY OR DEATH, MY INJURING ANOTHER PERSON AND/OR MY DAMAGING ANOTHER PERSON’S PROPERTY WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THE ACTIVITY.
THE INDEMNITY OWED BY ME AS A SET FORTH HEREIN IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED TO INCLUDE CLAIMS CAUSED, OR ALLEGED TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, BY THE RELEASEES’ OWN NEGLIGENCE. Release: In consideration for facilitating my participation in the Activity described herein, I release, discharge, and agree not to sue the Releasees for any claims, demands, actions, and causes of action of any nature whatsoever, including, without limitation, any claims of negligence, arising out of any loss or damage to my property and/or any personal injury or death, that I may sustain, whether or not caused by the negligence of any of the Releasees, while participating in the Activity, whether supervised or unsupervised, or while in transportation to or form the Activity.
THE RELEASE, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE FORTH HEREIN IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED TO INCLUDE CLAIMS CAUSED, OR ALLEGED TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED, IN WHOLE PART, BY THE RELEASEES’ OWN NEGLIGENCE.
IntentI intend that this Activity Release of Liability, Indemnification and Assumption of the Risk Agreement bind not only me, but also the members of my family and my spouse, and my heirs, assigns, and personal representatives. I intend this as a release, discharge, and promise not to sue the Releasees. I further agree that this Release of Liability, Indemnification and Assumption of Risk Agreement should be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas.
Free Act: I acknowledge that I have read and understand this Release of Liability, Indemnification and Assumption of the Risk Agreement and understand that it is legally binding. I understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act.
Assumption of Risks for Travel to Regions of a Country with a Travel Advisory of “Level 3”:
To the extent travel will be to regions of a country that are listed by the United States Department of State with a Level 3 travel advisory warning, the following conditions apply:
1. I understand and agree that my travel details will be registered with the International SOS at least 5 days prior to the beginning of my travel.
2. I have personally confirmed, and I hereby affirm that the regions of a country wo which I intend to travel are currently listed by the United States Department of State (State Dept.) with a Travel Advisory of Level 3.
3. I understand and agree that I am voluntarily choosing to participate in travel to regions of a country which have been identified by the State Dept. as a Level 3.
4. I understand and am fully aware of the risks, perils and hazards connected with traveling to regions of a country identified by the State Dept. as a Level 3.
5. I understand and acknowledge that regions of a country identified by the State Dept. as a Level 3 may have unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, terrorist’s attacks and may by hostile to visitors from the United States.
6. I understand and acknowledge that I may sustain loss of property, personal or bodily injury, including death, by traveling to regions of a country with a Level 3 Travel Advisory.
7. I voluntarily and expressly agree and acknowledge that I assume full responsibility for property loss or damage, and for personal injury, including death, that I may sustain as a result of traveling to regions of a country with a Level 3 Travel Advisory, whether or not such loss, injury or death is based on the negligence or other wrongful conduct of the Releasees.
8. I understand and agree that I will cancel my travel prior to my departure date if the Sate Dept. raises the Travel Advisory of the region of a country to which I intend to travel to a Level 4.
9. I understand and agree if the State Dept. raises the Travel Advisory to a Level 4 for the regions of a country I am traveling after I have begun my travel to said regions of a country, that I will immediately return to the United States and cancel the remainder of my travel to the regions of a country identified as Level 4.
10. I agree and affirm that it is my responsibility to continuously monitor all Travel Advisories from the State Dept. for the regions of a country to which I intend to travel. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/ I also will ensure I registered to receive the International SOS country alerts while I am traveling to said regions of a country.
I certify that I am of lawful age (18 years or older) and legally competent to sign this Agreement.
- Intent: I intend that this release and indemnity agreement bind not only me, but also my heirs, assigns, and personal representatives. I intend this as release, discharge, indemnity and promise not to sue the Releases. I further intend that this agreement be construed under the laws of the State of Texas.
- Are you currently attending Texas State University?
- Have you previously Received an IEF Scholarship?
- Are you a Terry Scholar?
- Are you currently under disciplinary probation or suspension at Texas State University?
- Please select the type of education abroad program you will be attending:
- If you are participating in a faculty-led program, please indicate the name of the leading professor.
- Indicate the city for your education abroad program.
- Indicate the country for your education abroad program.
- Indicate the begin date for your education abroad program.
- Indicate the end date for your education abroad program.
- Show 8 more
- General Policy: