The Mary Louise Hightower Scholarship (SH6120)
The Mary Louise Hightower Scholarship honors a former Lieutenant Commander of the U.S. Navy Women’s Reserves who taught English at Texas State from 1947 to 1970. A well-known book reviewer, she specialized in syntax and English literature. For many years, she sponsored the Shakespearean Literary Society (later called Delta Sigma Delta and then Alpha Delta Pi International Sorority). She was one of the first women to be elected to the university’s Faculty Senate. The Mary Louise Hightower Scholarship is awarded to outstanding juniors or seniors.
Students eligible for this scholarship will:
- Be enrolled and complete coursework as a full time English major student each semester of the academic year for which the scholarship is held. Students graduating Fall term of the academic year for which the scholarship is held are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Be enrolled in at least one English course each semester of the academic year for which the scholarship is held.
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in the Fall in order to receive the scholarship for the Spring.
If you have any questions about this scholarship, please consult the English Scholarship FAQ here: https://www.english.txstate.edu/studentres/scholarships.html. If you have further questions, contact Dr. Chevaillier in the English Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- College of Liberal Arts, CoLA - English, University Advancement
- Supplemental Questions
Applicants must submit a single PDF with the following in this order:.
- An essay explaining why you are majoring in English (500 words maximum).
- Transcript(s) (may be unofficial).
- 2-3 sentences introducing yourself to the donors.
- You must also obtain two letters of recommendation by the deadline. (Please note: English Department Scholarship Committee members may not submit letters of recommendation. Committee members are Elizabeth Skerpan-Wheeler, Deb Balzhiser, Cyrus Cassells, Leah Schwebel, Eric Leake, and Kathryn Ledbetter).
- Recommender: Name and Email Address
- Will you graduate before Spring 2023?