Taylor-Murphy Scholarship (ST6310)
The Taylor-Murphy Scholarship is available to undergraduate students that are majoring in History at Texas State and have completed 30 hours at Texas State University. It is available to transfer and continuing students. Applicants must have a Overall GPA of 3.0 and and 3.3 GPA in history.
Applicants must have completed one of the following courses within the history department: Hist2310; Hist2320; Hist2311; Hist2312 and/or an Advance Elective at @300 or @400 level. Applicants must have completed at least 30 hours at Texas State University.
Applicants must submit an essay of 750 to 1000 words that examines how the study of history might affect an applicant’s future career plans and/or what , if any, effect it might have on the applicant’s ability to impact the world around them. In addition, the applicant should also share how their experiences within the History Department at Texas State has affected their decision to have a career in history.
Applicants must also provide references from three (3) people as follows
- One should be a teacher whose specialty is the same as or most similar to the applicant’s major
- One should be a teacher who can describe the applicant’s academic abilities.
- One should be an individual who can best provide a description of those personal qualities and attributes that make the applicant a suitable recipient. (Relatives are not considered suitable references.
If applying for multiple History Department Scholarships, you may utilize the same essay and references for all applications.
Taylor-Murphy Scholars are required
- to maintain an overall GPA of 3.0
- to maintain a semester by semester GPA of 3.3 in history.
- to register for and complete at least 12 hours per semester.
Failure to comply will constitute grounds for forfeiture of the Taylor-Murphy Scholarship.