Good Neighbor Scholarship Program
The Good Neighbor Program provides tuition assistance to students from nations of the Western (American) Hemisphere other than Cuba and the United States. Academically talented students from these countries are encouraged to pursue higher education in the state of Texas, thus establishing beneficial relationships between the state of Texas and the students’ home countries. Recipients of the Good Neighbor Scholarship receive a non-resident tuition adjustment equal to the difference in tuition between Texas residents and non-residents.
To compete for this tuition adjustment, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Eligible Countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize (British Honduras), Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela
- F-1 or J-1 Visa holder
- Cannot have applied for permanent resident status in the U.S.
- Be a bona fide native-born citizen and resident of an eligible country
- Intend to return to the eligible country to live after completing the program of study
- Not be a dual citizen of an eligible country and the United States of America
- Have resided in the Western (American) Hemisphere for at least five years
- Not be a member of the Communist Party
- Demonstrate scholastic qualification for admission to the nominating institution
- Be registered for Selective Service or be exempt
- Be enrolled at an eligible institution that is willing to exempt the person’s tuition
- Be selected by the THECB for a tuition exemption based on the institution’srecommendation
If you have any questions about this scholarship, please contact Financial Aid and Scholarships at FinancialAid@txstate.edu.