Dennis and Margaret Dunn Scholarship (SD5418)
The Dennis and Margaret Dunn Scholarship is open to majors in History and/or International Studies. Applicants must meet the following academic standing:
- Current students, both undergraduate and graduate, with a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Incoming Freshman who have a minim ACT Composite score of 27 or a SAT score of 1150 and rank in the top 10% of his/her graduating class.
Applicants must submit an essay of 750 to 1000 words that examines how the study of history might affect an applicant’s future career plans and/or what , if any, effect it might have on the applicant’s ability to impact the world around them. In addition the applicant should also share how their experiences within the History Department at Texas State has affected their decision to have a career in history.
Applicants must provide references from three (3) people as follows
- One should be a teacher whose specialty is the same as or most similar to the applicant’s major
- One should be a teacher who can describe the applicant’s academic abilities
- One should be an individual who can best provide a description of those personal qualities and attributes that make the applicant a suitable recipient. (relatives are not considered suitable references.
If applying for multiple History Department Scholarships, you may utilize the same essay and references for all applications.
Applicants should complete a financial need application at the Texas State Financial Aid Office to determine if they qualify for financial need. Applicants are evaluated on their academic achievements and financial need. If necessary, interviews with applicants may be conducted.
Dunn Scholars are required
- to maintain an overall and semester-by-semester Texas State University GPA of 3.5 or above.
- remain a major in International Studies or History.
- to enroll for at least 15 hours per semester if they are undergraduates or at least 9 hours if they are graduate students.
Failure to comply will constitute grounds for forfeiture of the Dunn Scholarship