Bobbye Watts Student Emergency Services Scholarship (SW0011)
The Bobbye Watts Student Emergency Services Scholarship is named for Margaret “Bobbye” Watts, the mother of Student Emergency Services Coordinator and Texas State alumnus, Glynis Christine. Despite having a chronic disability, Bobbye raised four children who all earned their degrees, and who herself earned a bachelor’s degree at the age of 62. The fund was endowed by Dr. Lawrence Estaville, Regents’ Professor, University Distinguished Professor, and former chair of the Department of Geography at Texas State, and will award up to $500 per recipient.
Eligibility Criteria (will be verified by the Financial Aid Office and Office of Disability Services (ODS) for full consideration)
- Registered with a chronic disability for the current semester with the Office of Disability Services at Texas State (a written verification letter for ODS should be attached); and
- Have completed a minimum of 15 semester hours at Texas State prior to applying for the scholarship (a copy of the Texas State unofficial transcript should be attached); and
- Be recognized as currently enrolled “full-time” by ODS; and
- Demonstrate a financial need as the result of an emergency event within the last 12 months, defined as an unexpected event or circumstance that could lead to decreased student performance, cause a loss of momentum toward academic success, affects a student’s ability to complete their education, and cause an unforeseen expense.
Each student is responsible for submitting a brief (up to 400 words) essay explaining the nature of their emergency and how it has threatened to cause a negative impact on their academic completion.
- Recipient(s) will be reviewed and selected by staff members of the Dean of Students Office and the Office of Disability Services.
Questions regarding this scholarship should be sent to Gavin Steiger with the Office of Disability Services at email@example.com.